Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Italian chef got mesothelioma from asbestos in the oven and ceiling

(Photo from the New York Daily News)


The Salisbury Journal reports that Luigi Pes, a retired chef whose time spent near pizza ovens with asbestos seals in the kitchen and an asbestos ceiling in the storeroom of a Salisbury restaurant resulted in malignant mesothelioma, was awarded "a six figure sum in compensation after he was diagnosed with terminal mesothelioma." 

On July 5th, the Journal wrote an article on Mr. Pes' mesothelioma lawsuit, which ended with an out of court settlement in the plaintiff's favor. Mr. Pes' case is a compelling one:

Luigi Pes, 60, worked at the former La Gondola restaurant in Fisherton Street until 2001. During the 1980s he was exposed to asbestos both in the seals of the pizza oven and in a storeroom where the ceiling contained the hazardous material
Mr. Pes says he was not warned about the dangers that asbestos could pose to his health and in February 2008 he was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lungs.
A piece of asbestos ceiling tile. Mr. Pes was exposed to asbestos through oven sealant and asbestos ceiling material.


After receiving the news of his mesothelioma compensation, Mr. Pes told reporters: 
“For many years I worked there with no idea about the damage asbestos could do to my health. In later years when I became aware about the dangers of asbestos, I had an idea that I had been exposed but I never expected that I would end up with this disease. 
“Despite my progressive illness and the restrictions it brings, I’m doing my best to enjoy each day I have left. I’m not angry but I do feel strongly that more should have been done to protect me from getting this disease.”

The site of Mr. Pes' fatal asbestos exposure is no longer open to the public: La Gondola restaurant was sold to new owners in 2001 and closed in 2005.

Though we are glad Mr. Pes survived to see justice served and to receive the monetary compensation he deserved, we cannot truly celebrate, as there are few happy endings when it comes to mesothelioma. We wish Mr. Pes and his family all the best, and sincerely hope he continues the trend of longer mesothelioma survival rates.

6 comments:

  1. This is a truly good site post. Not too many people would actually, the way you just did. I am really impressed that there is so much information about this subject that have been uncovered and you’ve done your best, with so much class. If wanted to know more about green smoke reviews, than by all means come in and check our stuff. https://gpwlaw-wv.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful illustrated information. I thank you about that. No doubt it will be very useful for my future projects. Would like to see some other posts on the same subject! The Asbestos Cancer Organization

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me. los angeles lemon law attorney

    ReplyDelete
  4. I high appreciate this post. It’s hard to find the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it! would you mind updating your blog with more information Asbestos Lawyer in Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely enjoying your website. You definitely have some great insight and great stories. Asbestos Exposure

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you have Herpes in your whole body such as fever blisters, hsv, or roofing shingles you know what it is like to stay with the pain and discomfort that herpes delivers. I don't need to tell you how awesome it would be to find something that works so well that you no longer need to fear about stress or outbreak,Dr Itua herbal medicine cure my herpes in two weeks of taking it.is genuine and natural herbal medicine it has no side effect, The reason I'm writing this is that I promised Dr Itua I will share his herbal work to the world to see Herpes is no more a big deal.also Dr Itua can as well cure the following diseases...HIV,Hsv 1/2,Hepatitis B,Breast Cancer, Cervical Cancer,Leukuemia Cancer,Lung Cancer,Brain CANCER,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Diabetes, Men/Woman Infertility, Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Facator V Leiden Mutation ,   Lottery Spell,Copd, Shingles,Fibroid, Fibromyalgia, Liver/Kidney Inflamotry, Epilepsy,Hpv,Weak Erection,Wart Remover,Cold Sore,  Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Glaucoma.Lupus, Lymne Disease,, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,Dementia.Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic   Asthma. Here His Contact...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ . Whatsapp Phone.+2348149277976. I paid for his herbal medicine and sent it to me through Courier Service which I pick it urgently and used.  

    ReplyDelete